Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Holly Jolly Christmas?

Today was technically the first day of Thanksgiving vacation.  Snow College cancelled all their classes yesterday and kicked us all out on our rear ends for the week to avoid the storm.  The HUGE storm that was supposed to be the worst storm in twenty years or something in that degree of astronomical-ness.  And what happened when the storm showed up an hour after it was supposed to?  A big angry burst of wind spat about one inch of snow at northern Utah for thirty minutes and then...died.  Epic.

Owl City just released a new single for Christmas called Peppermint Winter.  It's the only Christmas song I've allowed to be played in my presence until after tomorrow.  I've listened to it over and over and every time I like it more.  I like it so much that I think I'll share some lyrics with ya!

Sing along if you so desire:

There’s the snow
Look out below
And bundle up
Cause here it comes
Run outside
So starry eyed
A snowball fight breaks out
And winter has finally begun

I twirl through the driveway with angelic grace
Till I slip on the sidewalk and fall on my face
This peppermint winter is so sugar sweet
I don’t need to taste to believe
What’s December without Christmas Eve?

Hop in the sleigh
And we’ll glide away
Into the night
And we’ll sip on moonlight
Runny nose
My frosty toes
Are getting cold but I feel alive
So I smile wide

The snowflakes start falling and I start to float
Till my mean older brother stuffs snow down my coat
This peppermint winter is so sugar sweet
I don’t need to taste to believe
What’s December without Christmas Eve?

All this holiday cheer
Heaven knows where it goes
But it returns every year
And though this winter does nothing but storm
The joy in my heart is ablaze and it’s keeping me warm

It’s keeping me warm
It’s keeping me warm

I rip off the wrapping and tear through the box
Till I end up with 45 new pairs of socks
This peppermint winter is so sugar sweet
I don’t need to taste to believe
What’s December without Christmas Eve?

What's not to love about a song about mean brothers, socks, and slipping on the sidewalk?  We all know how that goes!

I guess I'm excited for Christmas, but it seems like there's never enough time to work up the right amount of excitement.  Ever since I've been old enough to realize how much work goes into all of it, I tend to take cover in some cave around mid-November and stay in hibernation until New Year's Eve (only surfacing for a while to unwrap some presents).  It's a terribly depressing habit, and I'll definitely have to pull out of it at least by the time I get married and have kids.  Who wants a mom who doesn't want to wrap so many presents?  Ha.  Don't get me wrong--I love Christmas and the things we remember at this time of year.  I'm just too lazy to deal with all the work that goes into it.

You know, these posts are showing me things about myself as I write them at least as much as they show anyone else.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can only take the sound of my own voice for so long--shake things up and add a little something of your own to this wonderful corner of cyberspace! Comments/wisdom of others is greatly appreciated.