Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Weekend in Cali

An all-expenses-paid road trip to California AND resume/application-worthy experience?  I think yes.



Saturday was the day of the Pilgrimage West Far Western Regional Writing Conference.  Three of us SUU students packed up for the 7-hour drive to Chapman University and had a really great time.  It's quite an experience to sit in a classroom with palm trees just outside the windows (probably not to California people, but certainly for rednecks like us).  Everyone assumed we flew, and each had an identical look of horror to hear that we drove the whole way.  Also, we were the only ones who came from out of state.

From what I can see, all three of us did a pretty good job.  It was raining the whole time, which was marginally depressing, but we made it through the day.  After it was over, we walked around the streets of Orange (at 6 pm on a Saturday night, only the bars were open--what's up with that?), and then we went back to the hotel and played card games for a while.


The view from my hotel room.


The streets of Orange, CA.


I thought it was hilarious that they skipped floor 13 in our hotel.


On Sunday morning, we drove back to Utah.

All in all, I'm so grateful that I was able to have this opportunity.  The conference was pretty small, but it was good practice for bigger ones that I'll hopefully be able to go to later on.  Also, I'm fairly sure that Heavenly Father has some big plans for me--if it weren't for His help, I never would have gotten this far.

p.s. The next time you drive past Las Vegas, play some Death Cab for Cutie.  Magical.

p.p.s. I TOTALLY WON BREAKING DAWN TICKETS ON THE RADIO THIS MORNING!!!!!

Have a wonderful day, dear reader(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can only take the sound of my own voice for so long--shake things up and add a little something of your own to this wonderful corner of cyberspace! Comments/wisdom of others is greatly appreciated.