Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pet Shop Boys=LOVE

This week's post is going to be jam-packed with extra awesomeness.  An intriguing subject was brought to my attention this morning by one of my dear friends.


It all came about as I was looking up Pet Shop Boys on Youtube and laughing at their ridiculously cliché 80's music videos.  She walked into the room and made a comment--"You know, the 80's was the WORST decade for music ever!"

Being understandably shocked, I pulled up my trusty Grooveshark page and found Don't Stop Believin' by Journey.  She quickly retracted her statement.

I think this could be a good opportunity for me to educate you, dear readers, on the subject of wonderful, brilliant 80's music.  Every decade has its fakers, but how can you listen to a Journey song and not fall in love?  Or Boston, Roxette, Rick Springfield, The Romantics, Van Halen, or Bon Jovi for that matter?  The 80's were an amazing time for music.  I could go on and on...and I think I will.

I just had my first day as a DJ on the college radio station.  When I walked in, the first song on my playlist was by Foreigner.  I was so proud of the guys in charge of music!  80's rock and pop is and always will be classic...I've only been around for two decades and even I realize that.  It's the music I grew up on--every so often, I still hear a song that sounds as familiar as something that plays on the radio every day, and yet I don't know the words.  Which means my parents probably listened to it all the time when I was still in diapers!  Then again, lots of 70's stuff sounds like that to me.  But the 80's were so much better!  But I am grateful to the 70's--without them we wouldn't have hard rock, and this world would be a sad and empty place.

Every decade I know enough to comment about has had its highs and lows, but without the 80's, music wouldn't be the same.  And Psych would be totally out of jokes.

And we certainly couldn't have that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can only take the sound of my own voice for so long--shake things up and add a little something of your own to this wonderful corner of cyberspace! Comments/wisdom of others is greatly appreciated.