Wednesday, March 12, 2014

From the Mission: D&C 100:5-8

One day on my mission, my companion and I were at the home of a ward member for dinner. We sat down and she gave us our food, and then she sat down to talk with us. She started to tell us about one of her adult daughters who had been making some wrong choices. After describing some of the problems they'd had (all of which were pretty significant), she told us that she had told her daughter to leave, and that she could come back once she was willing to follow the family's rules again. After telling us all this, she stopped and said, "Hermanas... ¿Hice mal?" (Sisters, did I do the wrong thing?)

She looked at us, waiting for an answer. My companion was still learning Spanish, and I knew she hadn't understood everything in the conversation. I don't remember what I said, but I think it was something about how she has the gift of the Holy Ghost, and that the decisions made for her family are between her, her husband, and the Lord. I think I also said that as long as she followed the guidance of the Spirit in her times of need, He would direct her on the best way to help her family. It was one of those times when I had no idea what to say, but the words were given to me in the very hour that I needed them. In Spanish, no less!

Every so often I had experiences like this, and they were good reminders of our Heavenly Father's love in even the hardest of times. After a few weeks, her daughter came back and agreed to make changes in her life. In the time I was in that area, I watched the gospel change the life of this family. That opportunity was a gift from my Father for which I will always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can only take the sound of my own voice for so long--shake things up and add a little something of your own to this wonderful corner of cyberspace! Comments/wisdom of others is greatly appreciated.