Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Finding Truth


An example one of my English professors used on this subject was 9/11.  The general consensus in the U.S. is that the terrorist attack was an evil act.  In that one extremist Islamic group, the attack was the will of God.  How can one decide which is right and which is wrong?



The way I see it, truth can only be determined if you have a way of measuring it.  Without an accepted constant, truth is virtually meaningless.  Religion is a good example--religions have doctrines and authority figures.  Each religion, to some degree, has its own version of truth.  And since I happen to belong to the LDS church, now seems like a good time to bring that up.  My church has scriptures and prophets, which give me and other members the guidelines we need to live the lives we want to live.  We can determine truthfulness by measuring it against these guidelines--if something contradicts our beliefs, it isn't true.  Simple as that.

For those without constant beliefs, truth is entirely subjective.  It may make for some wonderfully stimulating debates, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel sad for people in that situation.  Without truth, what is life?  What is love?  What is self?  What is the purpose of getting out of bed every morning?  If you don't have answers for these, your only chance for happiness is to keep searching for them until you either find them or die.

Curious?  Leave a comment or go to http://mormon.org/ for the answers to life, the universe, and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can only take the sound of my own voice for so long--shake things up and add a little something of your own to this wonderful corner of cyberspace! Comments/wisdom of others is greatly appreciated.