Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Big Things

Something big has happened....  My mind is still reeling at the intensity and finality of it.



I've officially decided to give 1.5 years of my life to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I've been pretty sure of it for a while, but I think I was afraid to commit to it.  And now I'm ready to do it.  I won't be leaving until after the next school year is over, but I'll need all the time I can get to prepare.  I've always been afraid of deciding to serve a mission, mostly because I'm afraid of being that girl who can't find a husband in my first two years of college and therefore must find something productive to do until someone will take me.  I'm still afraid of that for now, but hopefully the feeling will go away when I can start thinking less about myself and more about people who need my help.  This isn't about me at all.  I've been so blessed in my life, and the least I can do is concentrate on serving others for a while.

I'm still scared, though.  I've always been terribly shy, and I'm pretty sure that won't magically change as soon as I get out there.  And this is going to set me back a while in school.  But I guess that's okay--with the major I'm going into, I don't even need a degree.  I'll still get one so that I can be an editor, but it shouldn't be a problem for me to get done a little late.  I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can only take the sound of my own voice for so long--shake things up and add a little something of your own to this wonderful corner of cyberspace! Comments/wisdom of others is greatly appreciated.